One of the worst states I know to be in is helplessness. That’s the state of being where no matter what you say or do you can’t change the situation or the outcome even if it’s causing you stress and/or pain. Situations such as incurable illness, death of a loved one, irreconcilable break ups and taxes normally fall in that category. Those are often the times you have to resolve to be happy in spite of your circumstances. One way to do this is to count your blessings. It’s quite easy to get caught up in what’s going wrong and forget about what’s going right. I used to be a chronic complainer. I disliked my life, my body, the direction my career was going and being single. I’m sure I was a freakin’ joy to be around. I’m glad I have a big sister who’s not afraid to tell me to grow up and shut up. I’m even more glad that I listened to her. Your perception truly does influence your attitude and your quality of life. I am always amazed by people who are facing dire situations as big as mountains who don’t complain and keep a smile on their faces. However, their secret is simple, they are happy because they choose to be.
Try this little exercise and make a list of at least 10 things you are grateful for. They can be big or small. The point is that they bring you joy or add value to your life! Here are mine…..
- A Heavenly Father who cares
- Good health and mental stability
- A home
- Amazing family and friends who love me
- Gainful employment that I enjoy
- A great sense of humor (Laughter makes so many situations easier to bear)
- A closet full of cute shoes
- The ability to write and encourage others
- The ability to continue to love even after being hurt
- Eyes that allow me to see the beauty that surrounds me each day
- Strength to withstand tough times
Count your own blessings, write them down and post them where you can see them as a constant reminder of how good you actually have it. I’ve decided to be happy no matter what obstacles life throws my way. Won’t you join me? You too are truly blessed!
Until next time…..